Under general supervision, the Cook prepares, seasons and cooks a wide variety of food items, oversees the inventory and storage of food and related items and ensures the cleanliness of the kitchen and all applicable equipment at the Cleveland Christian Home residential center.
- Education, Training, and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED;
- A minimum of one (1) year food service experience in a commercial, industrial or residential operation; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Successful completion of all required pre-hire tests and proof of current TB test upon hire
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: ******
Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals to perform the essential duties.
- Prepares menus and food service schedules
- Gathers food ingredients and supplies from the storeroom, as required
- Determines food needs, including variety, quantity and nutritional content
- Assembles supplies and equipment as needed
- Slices, grinds and cooks food using a full range of cooking methods; tests food for quality
- Replenishes food service lines as necessary
- Prepares special dietary food trays, according to prescribed standards and as needed
- Oversees daily needs and resolves issues concerning equipment and food supplies
- Ensures appropriate stock levels of food and supplies
- Ensures the quality of stocked and stored food items
- Disposes of spoiled or unattractive food
- Notifies supervisor of defective supplies/equipment and/or other unusual incidents or conditions
- Prepares and submits purchase requests
- Ensures that kitchen, dining room and storage areas are continually cleaned and sanitized
- Washes dishes, pots and pans
- Cleans all surface areas, shelves, stove, tables, carts, floors (sweeping/mopping) etc.
- Cleans refrigerator and freezer areas
- Assists with stocking and retrieving items from storeroom
- Sets up and maintains coffee area in the dining room
- Assists with setting up for evening meetings, as necessary
ADDITIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains and/or increases knowledge, skills and abilities
- Attends meetings and/or committees as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or needed.
- Must be able to drive with 4 points or less on your license
- Must have auto insurance
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Personal Characteristics:
- Knowledge and support of agency mission, goals, policies and procedures*
- Basic knowledge of mental health administration including applicable department rules, regulations, functions, procedures and policies*
- Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques and quality standards
- Knowledge of food service and cooking issues including health, safety, nutrition and hygiene
- Organizing, coordinating and prioritizing techniques and methods
- Knowledge of inventory and supply control
- Ability to operate food service equipment
- Ability to establish a rapport with clients
- Ability to maintain appropriate and required confidentiality ensuring the integrity of sensitive information (written and/or verbal)
- Ability to carry out written and oral instructions
- Ability to work independently
PHYSICAL DEMANDS described here are representative of those that must be routinely met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this position.
- Ability to work with and around cleaning agents and other chemicals.
- Physical capacity for frequent bending, stooping and lifting.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and move heavy objects.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, smoke, fumes, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises
- Ability to perform job responsibilities in a facility or residence with multiple levels and without elevators or mechanical transportation.
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment, with some exposure to hazards and/or physical risks which require basic safety precautions.
- Ability to perform some repetitive tasks, such as stirring
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $9.00 to $11.00 /hour
- professional cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- restaurant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Food Handler (Preferred)
- One location
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly